Thursday, October 20, 2011

"How many times..."

Kids hate nagging, but we parents hate it just as much. It's beyond me what it will take to convince them of certain things. From yelling and punitive discipline to reward systems, calm words, rational conversations and logical consequences, nothing seems to work. The eldest cannot seem to learn to put his clothes away before going to bed. Strewn all over the floor is his approach. It's not like there isn't an expectation and consistent responses. So I go to read him a story tonight and see the day's clothes littered all over, and I calmly point out what I see and tell him I'm going to close the door and open it again in one minute and if he's ready for a story he'll get one, and if not, it's too late. I do so, and shortly thereafter he opens the door and says "done." Looks good I say, seeing that the underwear and socks and the first outfit of the day are out of sight. Then I spot the slacks and button-down shirt on the wicker basket under his newly-acquired Halloween costume. I calmly say he can't leave those things sitting out for the next 10 days. I tell him to pick up the hanger on the floor and use it to hang up the shirt. He goes to do so and when he opens the closet I see all the previous offenders on the closet floor. I'm tired of yelling about this. I have come unglued too many times (I have also had calm conversations about expectations many times too), but nothing seems to work. I explained AGAIN that that isn't okay. Not only is it lazy, but it's also deceitful. It's a kInd of lying, because he knows I am assuming he had done it properly. I didn't lecture. I said my piece in a sentence and then told him he list his story. What do you want to bet it will still happen again? Will someone please tell me why this is so hard and what is the magic solution?

No comments:

Post a Comment