Monday, February 11, 2008

2/11/08


Avi is very focused on practicing sitting up in the bathtub. He does it over and over, with a look of determination. Then he falls over, looks startled, laughs and goes for it again. The bathtub seems to be the place where he really tries out his new moves. Given his pattern, I expect to see him scooting into a sitting position outside the tub within the next week or so.

Noah and I experienced a big first this past weekend. I dropped him off at piano lessons without going in. I told him I was going to do so about a block before we got to her house. I pulled up, stopped the car, got him out of his car seat, and started to walk him to the stairs. My plan had been to walk him to the bottom of the stairs and have him go the rest of the way up and in on his own, but as soon as I started to follow him, he turned around and said “I don’t need you Mama. I can do it all by myself.” I started to explain that I was just going to go part of the way, but he repeated himself emphatically, so I let him. I stood there in the alley next to the car, listening for his footsteps up the stairs. I could see that there were people in the apartment, so I knew someone would answer the door. I waited to hear the door open, and then I left. Wow. When did he get so old? He just turned 4. It wasn’t until it was all over that I realized just how significant that moment was. It’s the first time in his life that he’s ever gone in to anything on his own. He’ll be going away to college before I know it. Or at least kindergarten.

No comments:

Post a Comment