Wednesday, February 27, 2008

2/26/08


Avi fell off the bed today. He appears to have suffered no long-term consequences, but I feel horribly, because I know better. I knew the risk, and yet I continued to let him sleep there. I always hear him instantly when he wakes up, but I was in the playroom for a minute helping Noah with paint, and I think I didn't hear him immediately. By the time I did, I went running, but was only half way up the stairs when I heard that terrifying thump. He was pretty scared, but was smiling again within 5 minutes. I don't know what I'm going to do because I can't get him to take a decent nap in his crib. It looks like it's the end of an era. I feel really guilty and thankful that he didn't get seriously hurt.
Noah continues to perplex me.  He had a meltdown this morning because he didn't want to use the lunch bag I wanted him to use.  I won't get into the details, but there was a "you hit you sit moment" and the tired "I'm your mother, you do what I say without arguing" lecture.  Then things turned around and he had a decent day.  He did well at school (despite a lunchtime meltdown because his lunch didn't have "treats" like some of the other kids - i.e. CapriSun sugar drink and cheese and cracker crap package), there were only minor infractions at the grocery store, and he went down easily for a nap without argument and slept for nearly two hours.  He had a bit of a meltdown when I wouldn't give him two treats before dinner (nevermind that he usually doesn't get any), but I successfully diverted his attention to a painting project.  He painted pretty independently for awhile.  I kept checking and admiring his work, not showing any of my stress that there was paint dripping everywhere.  Then when he was ready to clean up, I was helping him and there was a small puddle of paint on the tile floor and he was kicking a ball around and I told him clearly not to get the ball near the paint.  I told him and he just worked harder to get the ball in the paint.  I called him on it and he just maneuvered around until he got it smack dab on top of the paint.  "What's wrong with you child?  Why do you do the exact thing I've asked you not to do.  On purpose.  After we've been having a perfectly nice time!"  I so don't get it.  And no, I don't think we can blame the treat.  It was one candy orange slice.  It's not like he was jacked up on sugar.  So what's it all about?

No comments:

Post a Comment