Friday, March 2, 2012

Are we really there yet?

Out eldest had brought home jokes recently featuring "hairy pickle" and "liqueur buns" punch lines. Or should I say, "lick her..."
I was volunteering for Noah's class's library Period the other day and one of his friends (a conservative Chinese-American kid whose family is very involved in church) was joking with another buddy about an author named Fuche on a book. "If the 'h' was a ...". "Timothy," I said, startling him unintentionally, "I don't think your father would want you talking that way, and besides, that still wouldn't be spelled right!" He was a little embarrassed. Is my son having these conversations too? I don't doubt it. He is afterall the one who exclaimed "shit" the other day when he spilled water on his pants while sitting in the back of the car. I couldn't believe it. Thankfully we were the only two in the car at the time. I don't need my four-year-old repeating that! We talked about the fact that he shouldn't be saying that word at all, but if one was to accidentally let that word slip out, it better be for something a lot more dramatic than a little water on your pant leg!
Cary was talking with another parent the other day whose 15-year-old son is dating an 18-year-old girl and the father and son have been negotiating whether or not the young couple can spend time in their homes when no one else is present. It just made us both think how many difficult stages or challenges we still have ahead of us. Yikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment